The HERS Index is an industry standard by which a home’s energy efficiency is measured. This rating can tell you a lot about your home, such as how efficiently it’s operating and where you can make modifications for greater energy savings. As a certified Home Energy Rater, ESG will assess the energy efficiency of a new or existing home and assign it a relative performance score. The lower the number, the more efficient the home.
In order to obtain this score, we will use the following tools and information:
- Air infiltration analysis (blower door and duct blaster tests)
- Thermal imaging analysis with select photographs of areas identified with possible energy losses
- Listing of installed building components for application to the ENERGY STAR certification requirements
- Thermal Bypass Inspection Checklist
- Indoor Air Quality Checklist (if applicable)
A HERS certificate will be provided around date of closing.
For a builder or a homeowner looking to sell their home, a low HERS index can command a higher resale price. For those looking to buy a home, having a HERS index available to you can help you to anticipate what your energy bills and efficiency upgrades will cost.